Free School Meals ProvisionLast update: 2020-06-19
As you will be aware from the letters/communications over the past few weeks, we have been providing food parcels twice weekly for families who are eligible. These have been available during the second week of the Easter holidays if requested. I am aware of the difficulties that families can have in terms of collection and the issue of not having the provision normally provided in school where a hot dinner is available. I know that for some families this is a real-life line of support.
As we move forward we will be using a voucher system for eligible families. This is the centralised Government site which has now been established. This will deliver specific codes which can be used for vouchers to the value of £15 per week for each eligible child. Whilst there are still difficulties with this system, we believe this is the best way forward to support families.
Should you wish to access this voucher system please contact Ms Slight via email Lslight@saintedmunds.org.uk. An email address is required to access the voucher. Please also state clearly in your email the full name of the student (s). Further details on how this will work will be given once you have registered.
If you have any questions about the voucher scheme please contact Ms Slight on 023 9289 2585.
For those who have now registered for the FSM voucher scheme, as we have already indicated above, that as the system is new there may be a delay. Please note that there is nothing the school can do about this as we have processed the initial registration from our end.
Guidance on Free School Meal Vouchers
Only students who are entitled for Free School Meals (FSM) are eligible for the voucher system. Families where circumstances have changed, e.g. redundancy, may apply for FSM and become eligible. Please see the section below on how to apply to the LEA for FSM.
The school will use the DfE website ‘Select Edenred’ to generate an eCode. This will then be sent to you via email. You will then need to follow the steps below:
- Copy eCode from your email or text message.
- Go to www.freeschoolmeals.co.uk
- Enter the 16 digit eCode (you can enter more than one eCode if you have more than one to redeem).
- Select a supermarket.
- Enter the amount and add to basket.
- Checkout and enter the email address you would like the eGift card sent to.
- Your eGift card will be processed and sent (please allow up to 24 hours for it to be delivered to your inbox).
The eCode itself cannot be used with a retailer only the eGift card. This is valid for one month only and will be sent to you from your selected Supermarket.
Click here to view the Frequently Asked Question guide for Parents/Carers for further guidance.
Please be aware that we have been informed that the system is running slowly and may take up to a week to process.
The EGift card is issued to those eligible in respect of the FSM benefit and will only be accepted in store for the purchase of food and groceries.
Free School Meals (how to apply for FSM)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit only, provided your annual household income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) does not exceed £16,190. Anyone entitled to Working Tax Credit is not entitled to free meals regardless of income
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
Universal Credit, if your earned income was £616.67 or less in your last monthly assessment period, or less than an average of £616.67 a month over the last 2 or 3 monthly assessment periods
If you think you may be entitled to free school meals please continue to complete this form or by clicking here to complete an online application directly through the LEA.